The US-UK Fulbright Commission offers special Summer Institutes for US citizens to come to the UK. These summer programmes provide the opportunity for US undergraduates (aged over 18), with at least two years of undergraduate study left to complete, to come to the UK on a three, four, five or six week academic and cultural summer programme.
Participants in these programmes will get the opportunity to experience an exciting academic programme at a highly regarded UK University, explore the culture, heritage and history of the UK and develop their academic ability by improving presentation, research and communication skills.
"It was literally the best summer of my life so far...I am so thankful for this experience and hope that it continues to grow and expand so that more students can participate!"- 2012 Participant
There are nine Summer Programmes available for US students in 2013:
- AIFS Summer Institute at Shakespeare's Globe
- Durham University Summer Institute
- King's College London Summer Institute
- Nottingham Trent University Summer Institute
- Queen's University Belfast Summer Institute
- Scotland Summer Institute (NEW!)
- University of Bristol Summer Institute (NEW!)
- University of Exeter Summer Institute (NEW!)
- Wales Summer Institute
The Summer Institutes will cover the majority of participant costs. This includes round-trip airfare from the US to the UK, tuition and fees at the host university/institution, accommodation and meals and in some cases a small daily allowance. Please read the Terms and Conditions for this award before making an application.
If you have any questions about the programme, please read our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
When asked about the 2012 UK Summer Institute programmes:
- 100% of participants stated that they would recommend a Summer Institute to their friends.
- A majority of students said their understanding and knowledge of the UK had substantially changed over the course of the institute.
-All participants stated they had a very good or excellent experience with the host institutions
All applications are due Monday 11 March 2013 by 5pm (UK Time)
Follow us on twitter and receive tips on completing your application!