Mindless ways to be good to the planet

| 3 Comments | No TrackBacks

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.  Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.  The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. 

-- John Muir --

bark.jpg

Photo of tree bark taken by me, in Miami, July 2010.

My goal this week is to share some mindless, straight forward advice on how to be eco-friendly. The tips I am going to share are easy and require no real change in lifestyle.

• Turn off the lights
    • When you are late for class and running out the door, it is common to just leave the lights on all day. Next time, take one second to turn those lights off. You will be conserving energy and not only doing the planet good, but you will also save money on your electric bill.
  • Wash laundry in cold water
    • Choosing cold on the washing machine is another great energy saving tip. 90 percent of the energy used by washing machines goes into heating, according to thedailygreen.com.  
  • Print double-sided
    • The next time you print a paper, notes or article, do it double-sided. The less paper you use, the better.
  • Take notes on your computer 
    • For those of you with a laptop, start taking it to class instead of your notebook. For professors who allow it, take notes electronically instead of on paper. Again, the less paper you use, the better.
  • Do not litter
    • One of my biggest pet peeves is littering. Being eco-friendly doesn't get easier than this. Wait for a garbage can, don't throw garbage on the ground. This includes cigarette butts. Instead of flicking them on the ground, find a proper receptacle to dispose of it.             

I hope that you found my advice simple and do-able. I encourage everyone to try these mindless tips and see how easy being green can be. I would also like to hear from you. Share with me some of the ways you are good to the planet. What are some of your mindless eco-friendly tips?

3 Comments

There are so many simple things that can be done to be more eco-friendly. Another idea for college students that is eco-friendly and has the added benefit of saving money is to buy used textbooks -- or even better -- rent textbooks. I guess there are even websites where you can swap textbooks and only pay for shipping. I just read that on the website thedailygreen.com that was listed in the blog entry. Making small changes in your daily life really does make a big difference!

How about changes in transportation habits? Automobiles are a major contributor to global warming, according to environmental and climate scientists. Walk more, bike more, drive less.

How about consumerism? Buying more stuff to put in self-storage units (or in the trash) is a major contributor to global warming, according to U Mass-Amherst communications professor Sut Jhally's 1998 documentary "Advertising and the End of the World." Easy: Turn off the commercial media.