Beyond City Limits

| 1 Comment | No TrackBacks

Saturday marked the finale of Indiana University of Pennsylvania's (IUP) museum exhibit "Beyond City Limits: 100th Anniversary of the Associated Artists of Pittsburgh."

Below:  A painting by Kamal Youssef, courtesy of the IUP website.Thumbnail image for museum2_130.jpg

The exhibit featured creations by 42 AAP artists who are affiliated with IUP and the Indiana area, according to a news post on IUP's website. Five lectures by some of the featured artists accompanied the exhibit throughout its course. Works included painting, sculpture and woodworking, among others.

It was fun to see and revisit artists' works that I had already viewed while on the Artists' Open Studio Tour in September. I recognized right away paintings by Vaughn Clay and Chuck Olson. Clay's "Graffiti Nation/Homage" was one I already saw on the tour, and Olson's unmistakable abstract style was easy for me to identify because of the tour.

I recognized many of the other artists' names, as I am an Indiana native. I wasn't the only born-and-raised in attendance, either. I was fortunate to run into Jade Reinard, of Indiana, who also happens to be a 1976 graduate of IUP's journalism department, Walt Peterson, of Pittsburgh. Peterson works for IUP ArtsPath, an arts-in-education program, he said, and teaches writing to inmates at State Correctional Institute Pine Grove, a juvenile detention center near Indiana. The two usually come to the university's arts events, and were also headed to the IUP pottery sale later that day.

They like to walk through the exhibits and decide on their favorite pieces, they said, but had not yet made their rounds.

After examining all the pieces, I concluded that my favorite two-dimensional work was "Angry Youth" by Daniel Bolick. This acrylic and latex work was painted on a huge canvas. The yellow background was hard to miss, and the subject's pained expression took up most of the canvas's central space.

My favorite sculpture was "The Time That's Left," a nearly 6 feet tall multimedia piece including wood, cartoon figurines, hourglasses, various clocks and thermostats -- and I'm sure I'm missing something. All the alarm clocks were blinking and set to different times.  One round clock sat face up near the top, and was set to the correct time.

The museum's next exhibit, titled "Extra! The art of Harris, Brewer and Shahn", will run from Jan. 21 to April 2.

UPDATE:  Comments

Facebook.jpg 

1 Comment

clock painting sounds cool

This page contains a single entry by Ms. Rose Victoria Catlos published on December 5, 2010 11:57 PM.

Audio Interview with Sandra Trimble was the previous entry in this blog.

A Farewell to Arts is the next entry in this blog.