A Farewell to Arts

| No TrackBacks

Farewell.jpg

Photo courtesy of Google Images

For my JRNL 281 blog wrap-up, I thought I'd jump one last grading hurdle and take a look at some data relating to the arts. I found an interesting 2008 study by the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) that is relevant to my blog because it relates to art and technology.

Ideally, I would have taken a deeper look into Indiana University of Pennsylvania's (IUP) recent cancellation of its OnStage live performance program. I searched for statistics for university spending on arts programs, but I was ultimately faced with few results and a finals time crunch.

The study, titled "Arts 2.0:  How Technology Influences Arts Participation" was intended to find a correlation between media participation in the arts participation. The study yielded several conclusions, but the overall results show that media participation encourages participation in the arts.

Rocco Landesman, NEA chairman, eloquently responds to age-old fears that technology will replace art in the study's introduction: 

"So now we are faced with the Internet, social media, and other new technologies, and I believe the arts field must embrace them and integrate them into our work. Not to replace it, but to extend it."

Study Results and Their Importance

The study's executive summary included nine separate "findings" about media and technology and the arts.  Two appealed to me as an arts blog writer and Indiana arts community contributor:

The first is finding nine. This finding states, "Relatively large numbers of Americans use the Internet or other electronic media to read or listen to various forms of literature."

Blogs are included in this literature category. I found it significant as a blogger that nearly 42% of survey participants read essays, articles and blogs online.

NEA Figure 1-7.jpg 

Image courtesy of NEA's report "Arts 2.0:  How Technology Influences Arts Participation."

The second is finding eight. This finding states, "Arts participation through media does not appear to "replace" live arts attendance, personal arts performance, or arts creation." The subsection that I like is pictured below.

NEA point 8 bullet.jpg

I have been trying to track the rural arts scene all semester and can tell you that there is no shortage of arts creation happening in Indiana. In fact, it was impossible to cover it all. Additionally, Indiana has proven to contain a substantial market for art consumption.

For evidence, I contacted Brian Jones, IUP's theater and dance department chair. Jones is also the operator of The Artists Hand Gallery, and I interviewed him last semester mentioned a study about the need for an art gallery in Indiana. I asked for a copy of it to include in my blog, and Jones was kind enough to provide one.

The 2002 study, conducted by members of IUP's Eberly College of Business and Technology's Small Business Institute, provides market research and statistics for a potential art gallery in Indiana. The gallery was temporarily named "Indiana Art Gallery", and data included in the study's market analysis section shows that "91% of respondents would visit Indiana Art Gallery at least once per year," and projected a total purchase value of $177,500 for art buyers in 2003.

The report helped make Indiana Art Gallery a reality, which has become The Artists Hand Gallery on Philadelphia Street in Indiana. The gallery has yet to open, but read my previous blog for more information on the gallery's  holiday gallery on Seventh Street.Farewell

Readers, you can help integrate arts and technology to help IUP with its own arts program. As I mentioned before, OnStage has been cancelled. Now, IUP Lively Arts is trying to gather information about how to replace it. You can fill out their interest survey on their Facebook page or click here to fill it out on the IUP website. I'm sure they'd really appreciate it.

Before I depart, I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to and commented on my first venture into the blogosphere. Happy holidays, and don't forget to stop by The Artists Hand Christmas Gallery at 10 S. Seventh St. in Indiana for some unique last-minute gifts!

This page contains a single entry by Ms. Rose Victoria Catlos published on December 17, 2010 8:48 PM.

Beyond City Limits was the previous entry in this blog.