Let's Make Something!

| No Comments | No TrackBacks
So, one of my original concepts when creating this blog was to show that vinyl records are not only good for listening. Some of the time when hunting for the diamond in the rough, you run across some pretty beat up records. Even if you find a mono copy of Yellow Submarine, you might just find that it sounds like listening to it at the bottom of the ocean. All hope is not lost! In this post I will be showing you some of the ways in which you can turn a vinyl record into everything from art, to functional household sundries. 

The first thing I have chosen is coasters. This is something that I have tried before, and although it took me a few times to get it just right, once I did it was fun and simple. Some sites out there will tell you to cut the record with a pair of scissors. This technique may work on extremely thin and flexible vinyl, but in my experience most records are too brittle and splinter almost instantly. 

I opted for using a cordless drill, and a special attachment that is used for installing light fixtures into drywall. This particular attachment has the perfect radius for cutting the center of the record cleanly from the rest of the vinyl. I am also sort of impatient, so doing this one at a time was out of te question for me, since I wanted to make a number of coasters for personal use and to give out as gifts. 

The important thing to remember about working with records is that the have a tendency to melt and get stuck together; so, before clamping a stack together it is a good idea to separate each record with a piece of newspaper. This will keep the final product from sticking together and creating a thick paperweight instead of a thin coasters. 

Once you have liberate the label from the rest of record, keep in mind there will be sharp edges that need to be filled down in order to make a safe finished product. I just uses some sandpaper to smooth the edges and it was b far the most time consuming part of the project. 

The last step is to lay out the coasters on a large piece of cardboard and spray them with clear coat. Just make sure to so this in a well ventilated area as the fumes may cause nausea and headaches, as well as who knows what else. I wiped the labels of before doing this to make sure to remove and dust or particles left behind from the cutting. 

The last thing you may want to do is back the coasters with cork of felt to help prevent sliding and scuffing of furniture. This is a pretty self easy thing to come by at most craft stores. Once you have applied the cork with rubber cement or an equally strong adhesive, you have a wonderful finished product; that will add a layer of uniqueness to any music lovers coffee table. 
vinyl_coasters.jpg