The Gift of Thrift

| No Comments | No TrackBacks

I spent this past weekend in Pittsburgh, so I thought it would be a good chance to go to record stores and thrift shops I don't normally get a chance to visit. First stop was The Attic, in Millvale, They had an absolutely amazing selection of new and used vinyl, a lot of the old stuff was in good condition with multiple copies, everything you come to expect from a first rate record shop that has been around forever. 

I picked up a few great things, and ever talked some Record Store Day rumors with the helpful employees. One of the things I noticed is that as record stores get more and more inventory, the chaos that more piles of random records are laying around, this can be good and bad. 

The selection was great, but the overall disorganization of the store leaves a lot to be desired. Narrow isles and boxes everywhere made navigating the store imposing to a first timer like myself. But, all in all, I left very satisfied with my selections. 

The next stop was a local goodwill, which had a meager selection of 70's easy listening and Vicki Carr music. But I guess that is all part of the joy of record collecting, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. 

Another thrift store, The Community Thrift Shop in Greentree, was a little more interesting. This place had a very nice collection of 7" records, and a whole lot of Classical. Of course, I was more interested in the 45's. I shuffled through a giant box of 7" records, and for the most part it was devoid of anything I would really like.  

photo.jpeg

When I did find something worth saving from this box where records go to die, the condition was not so good. I did however, find a single for the Crowded House song "Don't Dream it's Over". Which I have actually sought for sometime now. It was in perfect condition and it had the picture sleeve in very good(VG) condition. The reason I have always wanted this record, in it's 45rpm version, is that it was featured in the television adaptation of Stephan King's The Stand. Check it out!